Wednesday 18 May 2011

Hot flashes and heat rashes.

I learned something today that left me feeling like a total idiot.

I just came from my OBGYN for my usual check up and as I was telling her how I'd been feeling the past few weeks, I chanced upon that terrible Sunday morning when I endured nearly 20 minutes of excruciating misery due to hot flashes. I wasn't overly melodramatic but I made sure she understood how horrible that experience was for me-- as I describe how it felt, complete with gesticulations and facial expressions. After my theatrical recount, she let out a light and non-condescending laugh and said, "Those weren't hot flashes. What you experienced was a form of heatstroke."

DOINK.

I can't believe I (along with other much older women who were mothers that I had spoken to) kept calling calling them hot flashes! Apparently, hot flashes occur due to declining levels of estrogen--something I'm obviously not experiencing right now. This is experienced by a woman during the early stages of menopause. I felt so ridiculous but at the same time was happy to learn something new today.

The heat really has been wreaking havoc on my sense of wellbeing (and my electricity bill) and is even causing my skin to develop rashes. While there's nothing I can do to magically draw rain clouds over the city and lower the temperature, I find that drinking lots of icy water is excellent for keeping you hydrated and cooling you down from the inside.

To avoid the sticky sensation on my skin, I apply Nivea Baby Calming Powder. I know it's for babies but who's to say mummies can't use it too? I don't know how much calming powers it actually wields, but it does ease the itching and rawness of rashes. You can also try mentholated body powder that has a cooling effect on your skin. Feels like you've slathered on some mint cream. Luscious.

4 comments:

  1. ey! the package we have for asher also has nivea baby powder :D it's this big bottle so at least i know both of you will can use it!

    i have rashes now too, all over my legs and some in the arms and my back...chiko says it's from the weather nga, skin asthma or eczema. hay. the Lactacyd baby wash helps the itch, it's indications said can be for eczema. i remember you taught me to use it for washing off makeup...i still do!!! galing nga eh. hehe! try it on your rashes, it does lessen the itch. unfortunately for me, i'm kind of hardheaded and scratch like crrraaazy, so now it's all peklat and scars. bleh. now to find a good scar cream T_T

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow I'm sorry you're going through that, but I find comfort in not being alone. Haha! Was that mean? Guess what? I came home today to find out that they water has been cut off because they're working on some pipes on our street. WITHOUT A WARNING. So no one got to put water aside for emergency or anything. I'm dying to shower and wash my face!!!!

    Yes the Lactacyd Baby is amazing! My favorite thing to use for my face. Just don't forget to moisturize after because it can dry your skin also. Ooh Asher and I are excited for that, thank you in advance!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Hillababes, here's a daddy advise... get yourself an ice pack from mercury (the one where you put ice inside), fill it up with lots of ice and pat it on your face, neck, back, tummy etc...
    Believe me, i learned it from Mc Guyver!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tito Len! Ooh that is a brilliant suggestion! Haha and makes perfect sense too! I'm off to get that ice pack now! In fact I do believe it's a staple for every household because it's also good for other things like muscle aches and whatnot. Thanks for the suggestion!:)

    ReplyDelete