Tuesday 26 July 2011

Nappily ever after

The past few weeks of my new role as a mum have improved significantly. I am learning to decipher my son's cries and whimpers better and have purchased a calm about myself in approaching his fussy time. I no longer get panic-stricken and rush in to scoop him up without first trying to asses the situation. Breastfeeding has also been going swimmingly for Asher and myself; he's learned to latch on well and we both have found our rhythm. The nappy changing is not something I try to escape, after all as a single parent, it's not as if I have someone else to pass the buck to.

I've been trying on different brands of diapers not because I like to squander away my hard-earned money on randomly trying different brands as though I were merely sampling the different types of canapes on a tray. They were gifts from friends and some packs were from my parents who seem to be enjoying their new role as grandparents. The first brand I used when Asher was newly-born was Drypers. It seemed to have done a good job at absorbing what's wet and been expelled, but since newborns don't really void that much in volume, there was no imminent danger of leaks.

Then I switch over to Huggies. It did a decent job and I couldn't really speak about the cost since the pack was a gift. EQ diapers was the obvious economical choice seeing as it's quite cheap. But the design of the diaper in itself leaves a lot to be desired and it is horrendously prone to leakage. I found this out when a warm goo of mustard-like batter squished out from the sides of my son's leg and onto my hand. Not a happy discovery.

An aunt gifted me with a brand that's become such a household name, Pampers. It's ubiquitous in the advertising world of baby products. It's not cheap either. It didn't exactly spring a leak but it made it a little tricky determining upon ocular inspection whether it was time for a nappy change. Then I bought a bag of Mamy Poko. This has been my favourite brand as of late. It's got this Poo Poo Pocket feature that catches the poo and keeps it from spreading and leaking to the sides. Each nappy change has been easy and clean and even though it's not as cheap as EQ, it's still more affordable than Pampers or Huggies.

So as I sit in a room with bags of different brands of diapers, the Mamy Poko emerges as the winner. it seems that my little one is also most comfortable in it.

1 comment:

  1. haha yes, absolutely Mamy Poko is the best! especially when your baby starts getting into the Medium/Large size and poop and pee will double or triple in volume hahaha. we love MP, especially for going out, since that's when changing becomes difficult, at least we don't have to panic looking for changing areas or worry about leaks.

    Yeah, EQ has a certain way of putting on so it won't leak, and works while we're at home, though i've also had my share of brown goo on my lap >_<

    ReplyDelete